St Mary, Banham

BANHAM parish has a small village on a gentle eminence, 2 miles from Kenninghall and new Buckenham, and 5 miles E by N of East Harling, and contains many scattered houses, 1165 inhabitants, and 3714 acres of rich loamy land, belonging to a number of copyholders and freeholders, many of whom are residents. The whole is in the Duke of Norfolk’s manors of Banham Heath, Mareschalls, Greys, Beckhall, and Hockham, mostly on arbitrary fines. About 150 people are employed here in making bricks and tiles, and here is a fair for horses, toys, &c., on the 22nd of June. The Church is a large handsome structure, with a square tower, surmounted by a wooden spire. In a chapel lies the effigy of the founder – Sir Hugh Bardolph, Kt. The rectory, valued in King’s Book at £9 3s 6½d, and in 1831 at £800, is in the gift of the Crown, and incumbency of the Rev John Surtees. The glebe is 34A. The Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists have a chapel here.
William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845)

Banham baptisms DP 552-1 1558-1654

Banham baptisms DP 552-2 1654-1724

Banham baptisms DP 552-3 1725-1812

Banham burials DP 552-1 1558-1651

Banham burials DP 552-2 1654-1724

Banham marriages DP 552-1 1558-1654

Banham marriages DP 552-2 1654-1724

Banham marriages DP 552-3 1725-1754

Further registers for Banham are included in the FreeReg database.