St Mary, Haddiscoe

HADDISCOE is a pleasant village, 6 miles E by S of Loddon, and 9 miles SW by S of Yarmouth. Its parish has 424 souls, and 2066A of land, a great part of which is in low marshes in the watery vale of the Waveney. It is in several manors. The Executors of the late Mr GJ Grimmer are lords of the manor of Haddiscoe, and owners of a great part of the soil, and the rest belongs to Messrs S and HS Grimmer, and several other proprietors. The Church (St Mary) stands on an eminence, above the marshes, and has a fine round tower and five bells. Over the arch of the western door is a very curious image, supposed to be one of the oldest specimens of sculpture in the kingdom. The interior has several neat tablets to the Grimmer family. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King’s Book at £12, and in 1831 at £797, with that of Toft Monks annexed to it, in the gift of King’s College, Cambridge, and incumbency of the Rev Geo Fredk Nicholas.
William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845)

Haddiscoe baptisms PD 208-93 1558-1666

Haddiscoe baptisms PD 208-94 1663-1750

Haddiscoe baptisms PD 208-95 1751-1792

Haddiscoe baptisms PD 208-96 1793-1812

Haddiscoe burials PD 208-93 1558-1666

Haddiscoe burials PD 208-94 1664-1750

Haddiscoe burials PD 208-95 1751-1794

Haddiscoe marriages PD 208-93 1558-1666

Haddiscoe marriages PD 208-94 1664-1750

Further registers for Haddiscoe are included in the FreeREG database.