The Virgin Mary, Winfarthing

WINFARTHING, a pleasant village and parish, 4 miles N of Diss, has 696 inhabitants, and 2566 acres of land. The Earl of Albemarle owns a great part of the soil, is lord of the manor, (fines arbitrary,) and patron of the rectory, valued in the King’s Book at £12, and now enjoyed by the Rev Wm Jas Carver, MA, with 31A 1R 22P of glebe. The tithes were commuted in 1840. The Church has a square tower and five bells, and was, in the superstitious and corrupt age of monachism, in high repute among the ignorant for a certain sword preserved in it by the monks,  … The sword had previously belonged to a thief, who had taken sanctuary in the church. The manor has all the privileges of ancient demesne, and remained in the Crown till Henry III gave it to Sir William Montecaniso, or Munchensy, in consideration of his military services against the French. . . In the village is a small Primitive Methodist Chapel.
William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845)

Winfarthing baptisms PD 78-1 1614-1735

Winfarthing baptisms PD 78-2 1736-1801

Winfarthing baptisms PD 78-3 1802-1812

Winfarthing burials PD 78-1-1614-1735

Winfarthing burials PD 78-2 1736-1801

Winfarthing burials PD 78-3 1802-1812

Winfarthing marriages PD 78-1 1614-1735

Winfarthing marriages PD 78-2 1736-1754 PR 78-6 1755-1812

Further registers for Winfarthing are included in the FreeREG database.