St Mary, Kenninghall

KENNINGHALL, a small improving market town, on the eastern banks of a rivulet, 3 miles E by S of East Harling, and 4 miles SW of New Buckenham, has in its parish 1389 inhabitants, and 3524 acres of land, belonging to the Duke of Norfolk, the Earl of Albemarle, N Cooke, the Calver family, and many smaller proprietors.
Kenninghall had anciently a large weekly MARKET, held every Monday, and it was revived about twelve years ago, for the sale of stock, etc, now exposed for sale (toll free) in the large yard at the Crown Inn. Here are also two annual FAIRS for cattle, on July 18th, and sheep, on Sept 30th.
The Church (St Mary) has a nave, chancel, north aisle, south porch, and a large square tower at the west end, containing eight bells, and having the crest of Norfolk upon the buttresses. The vicarage, valued in the King’s Book at £5 17s 1d, and in 1831, at £250, is enjoyed by the Rev Wm Killett, BA, with 10A 3R 26P of glebe, and a small portion of the rectorial tithes, most of which are in the appropriation of the patron, the Bishop of Ely, but leased to Mrs and Miss Pope and Charles Wright, Esq.
William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845)

Kenninghall baptisms PD 108-1 1558-1660

Kenninghall baptisms PD 108-2 1654-1668

Kenninghall baptisms PD 108-3 1666-1720

Kenninghall baptisms PD 108-4 1722-1740

Kenninghall baptisms PD 108-5 1740-1787

Kenninghall baptisms PD 108-6 1787-1812

Kenninghall baptisms PD 108-7 1813-1859

Kenninghall baptisms PD 108-8 1859-1901

Kenninghall burials PD 108-1 1558-1660

Kenninghall burials PD 108-2 1654-1668

Kenninghall burials PD 108-3 1666-1718

Kenninghall burials PD 108-4 1722-1739

Kenninghall burials PD 108-5 1740-1787

Kenninghall burials PD 108-6 1787-1812

Kenninghall burials PD 108-15 1813-1908

Kenninghall marriages PD 108-1 1558-1660

Kenninghall marriages PD 108-3 1666-1727

Kenninghall marriages PD 108-4 1725-1754

Kenninghall marriages PD 108-9 1754-1795

Kenninghall marriages PD 108-10 1797-1812

Kenninghall marriages PD 108-11 1813-1837

Kenninghall marriages PD 108-12 1837-1901

Further registers for Kenninghall are included in the FreeREG database.

  • Kenninghall was part of the Guiltcross Hundred
  • History of Kenninghall
  • Kenninghall was the main seat of the Dukes of Norfolk – it was demolished around 1650